Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Summer Camp.

If I could, I'd write every detail down. But that would take forever and bore most of you, so I'll stick to what's important.

I got sick (in friggin AUGUST) the day before we left for camp. This always happens before a big event, and was due to the stress I was feeling at work. I was THIS close to not being able to go on the trip because of how awful I was feeling. There's nothing I hate more than this aspect of myself, because then I have to let people down constantly, tell them I'm sick, and most of the time people think I'm being a baby, when in reality I power through sickness constantly and am tougher than most people.

SO, I sucked it up and hoped for the best. I medicated myself, got up at 5am the morning of the trip, and off we went...

I soon understood why I was so close to not making it on this trip. Within 2 days, one of the girls accepted Christ and I got to pray with her. She wanted to get baptized right away, but is going to wait a bit. It was such a sweet moment, not only because we cried together, but because she is the younger sister of one of my 8th grade girls from last year. THEN, a few days later, a girl who was having a rough time also asked me to help her give her life to Christ. I was blown away at the decisions these girls were making and how important I was to them. It was great for me as well, as I got to realize that I'm not just "the new girl" anymore, which is how I felt almost everywhere I went (I longed for the community of my home church where we were lifetime members). So many girls were loving on me all week, and wanted assurance that I wasn't going to leave them. I felt honored that God had me in His plan all along. And I also got a new understanding of how real the enemy works against us to try and mess up God's plan...if I hadn't have gone, those girls may not have wanted to confide in someone they didn't know.

The second greatest part of this trip was getting to know so many adults and staff that I casually knew, but really got to spend time with. Again, it just reaffirmed that I felt at home finally....there were so many deep conversations had every night and many relationships built. I love walking into church on Sundays now and being able to greet so many of these adults that I call my friends now. Love that about my church.

Finally, the coolest thing I realized is how blessed I am. I kind of stepped blindly into this jr high ministry in early 2012, when they were desperate for help. Everyone was so great but it took me awhile still to feel like a part of it. If they hadn't have pursued me, I probably would have given up. There was one time I was unsure if I should stay in the ministry or move on and God made it clear that He wanted me to stay. It hasn't been the easiest ride, since many changes have happened and I'm definitely not new anymore, but there's such a peace in knowing you're exactly where God wants you. I think back to last school year when I found out I'd be partnered with my coleader, and how she is a great friend to me now. I'm so thankful that I got such a great friendship out of that. And now this year, I also am so thankful for the awesome friendship the other leader and I have already developed at camp...God really knows who to pair together. It's just so fun for me to think back on my journeys at the multiple churches I've attended, each one so special and dear to my heart.

I'll never forget camp this year. The loose boat at night time, hitting another boat, driving jet skis, all 3 boats septic tanks overflowing on the last day, and all the time on the water we got to spend together. I need to remember this the next time I'm feeling defeated about an event.

No comments: