Total Pageviews

Friday, August 2, 2013

Change.

Usually I don't like change. But right now I appreciate it.

I love the internet for a huge reason: it serves as a giant time capsule. This could be bad if you are a celebrity and want people to forget certain things.

I have so much of the last 13 years of my life documented.

Anyone that knows me knows how much I love twitter. I just feel like I learn so much from the community of people I follow! Hahaha. I love the immediate news coverage, always being in the know, and making new friends (okay, okay, mostly in the Kelly Clarkson fandom, but they are still some of my favorite friends!). I also need that accessibility to celebs. Hahahaha. But overall, I love that twitter recently added a feature to go and look through your old tweets in your "archive" because before that, you could only go back a certain amount, and for people with like 14k tweets (yup), that just won't do. Now so many memories are remembered in 140 characters.

Then there was my student teaching blog, to document every step of that journey. I remember how many times I didn't want to write in that thing but still forced myself to so that I would remember what I felt. And if I hadn't, all of that would be forgotten and the change would have gone undocumented.

Going back through posts on this blog since 2008 on this blog show so much growth and such a journey. I thought I never wrote in this thing enough but am thankful for the many posts I see now, all the way from college sophomore, to graduation, to job search, to this rut.

Before 2008, I am so thankful for facebook, and even myspace, that documented so many funny memories of beginning college friendships that would last a lifetime.

And before that, xanga. Oh xanga. I love that you serve as a great reminder of my dramatic teenage self (age 13-19!!!) and hopefully I can use you someday to raise a sassy diva adolescent of my own. (SO many "the world is over, I wanna die" posts, it makes me want to make a "world is over, I wanna die" post right now).

And yes, even before THAT, I have emails from my first email account that remind me of how I'd race home after 7th grade, call friends on their house phones, and then email them back and forth for the afternoon.

Not to mention all those saved AIM convos...mortifying.

So thank you technology. My future children won't thank you because they will be embarrassed there are this many memories of their mother, but I do.

Below is even a little treat: my xanga page from 2002.


No comments: